Mae Among the Stars by Roda Ahmaed
Inspired by the life of the first African American woman to travel in space, Mae Jemison. When Little Mae was a child, she had aspirations of dancing in space. She imagined herself surrounded by billions of stars, floating, gliding, and discovering. She wanted to be an astronaut. Her mother told her, "If you believe it, and work hard for it, anything is possible.” Did Mae achieve her aspirations? Read the story to find out.
Can you answer these questions after hearing the story?
- What did Mae want to be when she grew up?
- When Mae told her mother about wanting to see the Earth from afar, what did her mother say to her?
- Why do you believe that it was important for Mae’s parents to encourage her to follow her dreams?
- When Mae went to school and shared her dream with her teacher, how did Mae’s teacher and fellow pupils respond?
- Did Mae’s dream come true?